Michael K. Mullen began his career as a full-time civil litigator and originally concentrated in the areas of product liability, insurance coverage and general defense work. His practice then expanded to include extensive work in the area of environmental law (principally in litigation matters), commercial litigation and commercial real estate.
Presently, Michael’s litigation practice largely involves the handling of commercial litigation, intra-corporate disputes, and environmental matters. His areas of concentration in corporate matters involve the acquisition and sale of small businesses and transactional work in the area of commercial real estate. Michael has been involved in various areas of law firm management and is currently the chairperson of the Firm’s Recruiting Committee.
Among his professional, business and civic affiliations, Michael is a trustee for the Washington Association and a mentor for the New Jersey Law Firm Group. He is the former coordinator of the Morris County Bar Association's Mock Trial Program.
Michael is actively involved in his alma maters as a member of the Delbarton School Alumni Association (Morristown, NJ) and the University of Notre Dame Alumni Club of Northern New Jersey. Further, he has played various roles in organizations including The Wellness Community of Central New Jersey, Community Soup Kitchen (Morristown, NJ), Big Brothers Big Sisters of Morris County, Morris County American Cancer Society Young Professionals Group and the New Jersey Society for the Prevention of Blindness.
- Included on the list of Morris/Essex Health & Life magazine's 2019, 2020 and 2021 "Top Lawyers" in General Practice*
*No aspect of this advertisement has been approved by the Supreme Court of New Jersey. Click here to read Awards & Honors Methodology.
- Author, "New Jersey Supreme Court Compels Arbitration of N.J.L.A.D. Lawsuit Based Upon "Employee's Assent" to Mandatory Arbitration," Legal Updates for Businesses, October 2020
- Author, "New Jersey Legislature Passes Significant Environmental Justice Bill," Legal Updates for Businesses, October 2020
- Author, "New Jersey Expands Brownfields and Urban Development," February 20, 2020
- Contributing author, February 2020 Legal Updates for Businesses
- Presenter at in-house seminars for commercial real estate brokerages
- Member, American Bar Association
- Member, New Jersey State Bar Association
- Mentor, New Jersey Law Firm Group
- Member, Board of Trustees, Washington Association of New Jersey
- Member, University of Notre Dame Alumni Club of Northern New Jersey
- Member, Delbarton School Alumni Association, Morristown, New Jersey
- Member/Counsel, Crossroads4Hope
- Member, Community Soup Kitchen, Morristown, New Jersey
- Former Coordinator, Morris County Bar Association—Mock Trial Program (1995-2000)
- Former Member, Big Brothers/Big Sisters of Morris County
- Former Board Member—New Community Foundation
- Former Co-Chair, Morris County American Cancer Society Young Professionals Group
- Former Member, New Jersey Society for the Prevention of Blindness
Commercial Real Estate
- Led the effort to complete the sale of clients’ buildings in municipalities in Essex County, New Jersey, including securing requisite municipal approvals, resolving environmental-related issues, closing of title with three separate buyers, etc.
- Led the effort to complete the sale of a 77-residential unit building in Newark and related commercial properties, including resolution of environmental-related matters and termination of rental receivership
- Defended owners of a foreign-based online dating/matrimony service against the assertion of third-party ownership interest
- Successfully resolved work-out issues with investors, lenders and other third parties as to a large, failed mixed-use real estate development in northern New Jersey
- Long-term representation of national paint company regarding general litigation and toxic tort litigation
- Defended owners/operators of three significant Superfund sites in central and northern New Jersey, including the prosecution of related insurance coverage actions, CERCLA costs-recovery actions and defense of governmental cost-recovery actions
- Part of a team which successfully resolved a natural resources damage claim relating to a large former industrial site in northern New Jersey
- Led defense in a New Jersey Spill Act claim for a large fuel oil concern at multiple sites across New Jersey