Michael L. Messer represents financial institutions, including regional, national and international banks and underwriters, in commercial matters and loan transactions. Throughout his career, Mike has been involved in transactions in excess of several hundred million dollars. He has also served as an expert witness in many litigations related to real estate financing.
Mike’s real estate practice includes a wide spectrum of transactions and he has been retained by local and international entities (owners for their own accounts as well as developers and investors) in matters including the acquisition and development of properties and financing of real estate. As a result of his experience, he has frequently represented out-of-state entities that wish to either relocate their operations to New Jersey or invest in New Jersey.
In addition, Mike has extensive experience with the New Jersey Economic Development Authority, including bond counsel, underwriters’ counsel and borrower’s counsel for more than 25 years. Further, Mike is often called upon to structure an acquisition and to utilize various governmental incentive programs in such transactions.
Mike’s professional affiliations include past and present membership on several bank advisory boards including Sovereign Bank, Oritani Bank, Independence Bank and Peapack-Gladstone Bank. He is also the former president and current member of the Senior Counsel of the Board of Governors, Industrial & Office Real Estate Brokers Association (New York metropolitan area, which encompasses commercial real estate firms in New York, New Jersey, Connecticut and Pennsylvania).
Mike has been involved in the acquisition and financing of multi-family residential projects for investors and lending institutions in the New York metropolitan area and Pennsylvania.
- AV® rated, the highest rating conferred by Martindale-Hubbell® for legal ability and professional ethics, based upon a peer review of the Bar and the Judiciary*
*No aspect of this advertisement has been approved by the Supreme Court of New Jersey. Click here to read Awards & Honors Methodology.
- Member, Advisory Boards of Sovereign Bank and Oritani Bank
- Former President and Current Member of the Senior Counsel of the Board of Governors, Industrial & Office Real Estate Brokers Association (New York metropolitan area; encompasses commercial real estate firms in New York, New Jersey, Connecticut, and Pennsylvania)
- Borrowers’ counsel for $65M bond issue for 501(c)(3) organization
- Developer’s counsel for $110M multi-use redevelopment project
- Bank counsel for $32M real estate loan to REIT
- Counsel for acquisition of real estate and financing of $20M warehouse/distribution center for privately held New Jersey company
- Bank counsel in $10M workout/restructuring with manufacturing company
- Co-counsel in $105M global refinancing of a real estate portfolio of a significant New Jersey investor/developer