Kate Gilfillan has concentrated her practice in the area of school law, public sector law and representing institutions of higher education. Kate represents numerous school districts in all areas of labor and employment law, special education law, residency, teacher and student discipline, contract preparation, public contracting, FMLA/FLA issues and other student matters. In addition to assisting with internal investigations, Kate regularly appears in the Office of Administrative Law for Civil Service and Education matters as well as the Office of Civil Rights/U.S. Department of Education, Division of Civil Rights, the Equal Employment Opportunity Commission, the Commissioner of Education, and state and federal courts.
Kate supplements her court-based advocacy with in-service training and policy and practice review to assist her clients in avoiding litigation. She regularly provides training in the areas of Individual Education Program (IEP) development; IDEA compliance, cyber-bullying and sexual harassment, teacher and student discipline and American with Disabilities Act/504 compliance.
- Included on the list of Morris/Essex Health & Life magazine’s 2020 and 2021 “Top Lawyers” in Education*
*No aspect of this advertisement has been approved by the Supreme Court of New Jersey. Click here to read Awards & Honors Methodology.
- Webinar presenter, "Returning from COVID-19: Navigating and Responding to Issues as Schools Go Back to the "New Normal," April 30, 2020
- Presenter, "Mergers & Acquisitions for Independent Schools" at the New Jersey Association of Independent Schools (NJAIS) Trustee Enrichment Day, at the Morristown-Beard School, November 17, 2019
- Author, "Daily Recess Period Required for Elementary Students," August 15, 2018
- Author, For Whom Does the Bell Toll?, October 17, 2017
- 2017 Hot Topics in Special Education
- Author, Trump Administration Withdraws Guidance on Transgender Students' Use of Bathrooms, February 23, 2017
- Harassment, Intimidation and Bullying, 2011, 2013
- Cyber-bullying and Sexting, Fall 2010
- Student Discipline, Fall 2010
- Conducting Manifestation Determination Meetings, 2009
- Development of 504 Plans, 2009
- New Jersey State Bar Association – Labor & Employment Section
- Member, Morris County Bar Association
- Obtained significant order of tuition from guardians of non-resident students. L.B. o/b/o J.K.B., L.B. and J.B. v. Linden Board of Education
- Successfully arbitrated the increment withholding of a tenure teacher based upon unprofessional behavior towards colleagues. In the Matter of P.H.
- Successfully defended school board’s affirmative action investigation process. Plummer v. Board of Education of the City of Linden
- Attained dismissal of petition for emergent relief requesting ESY services. M.H. and B.H. o/b/o G.H. v. Jackson Township Board of Education
- Secured termination of municipal construction code official for insubordination and misconduct. In the Matter of Alfred N. Arezzo, City of Hoboken.
- Successfully defended various school districts in Office of Civil Rights investigations