John E. Ursin has extensive experience in a wide range of legal specialties. This experience and background has allowed him to provide valuable and efficient representation as general counsel to corporations, small business, local government entities, non-profit organizations and family offices. He is a member of the Firm’s Corporate Practice, Insurance Defense and Banking and Finance Practice Groups. John chairs Schenck Price’s Government Law Practice Group, and co-chairs the Firm's Land Use and Redevelopment Practice Group. John is also a member of Schenck Price's Management Committee.
John regularly handles litigation involving public entities and private companies, such as premises liability, employment practices, director & officer issues, coverage issues, bidding and contractual disputes, and education issues. His insurance litigation practice includes coverage and defense issues ranging from general liability and indemnification issues to specialized coverage and reinsurance issues. He regularly represents local and regional banks and other financial institutions in litigation, foreclosure, commercial restructuring and workouts.
John counsels companies of all sizes, both public and private, on mergers and acquisitions; financing, including venture capital and private placements; corporate structure and governance; and litigation and employment issues. His biochemistry background has allowed him to be particularly adept at counseling companies in scientific and technology fields in transactions and other matters.
John is experienced with complex business and real estate transactions and frequently appears before zoning and planning board as well as the NJDEP concerning all types of development, zoning and use issues.
John counsels municipalities, school boards and other public entities and has extensive experience with administrative, governance and legislative aspects of government, including OPMA, OPRA and elections. He advises clients on redevelopment, highlands issues, plan conformance, COAH and water and sewer utilities. He is also involved with contractual disputes, union negotiations, employee discipline, civil service and PERC issues.
John’s recent representative clients include the Kellogg Family/Hudson Farm, Grafoid, Rockets Sports Group, Econo-Pak, Cellmedix, Blue Ridge Lumber Company, Statewide Insurance, Chubb and Nationwide Insurance Company. John serves as municipal attorney for multiple municipalities.
- Top 40 Attorneys Under 40 by New Jersey Law Journal 2007*
- Repeatedly selected to the New Jersey Super Lawyers® list, featured in New Jersey Monthly magazine, in the field of State/Local/Municipal Law*
*No aspect of this advertisement has been approved by the Supreme Court of New Jersey. Click here to read Awards & Honors Methodology.
- Presenter, "3 Ways to Protect Your Client's Greatest Asset," 2020 International DI Conference, October 20, 2020
- Webside moderator, "The PANDEMIC: Today's Tragedy, Tomorrow's Liability," May 18, 2020
- Contributing author, June 2019 Legal Updates for Businesses
- Author, Financial Relief for Nonprofits under the CARES Act
- Contributing author, December 2017 Legal Updates for Businesses
- President, Pope John High School’s Endowment Board
- Chairman of the Board, Birth Haven
- Past Member, Board of Directors and General Counsel, Project Self-Sufficiency
- Past President of Sussex County Bar Association
- Past Chairman of the District X Fee Arbitration Committee
- Former Co-Chairman of the Perona Farm’s Sussex County Game Dinner Committee
- Chairman, Finance Committee, Good Shepherd Church
- Achieved three jury trial victories in two years, including two in employment discrimination/New Jersey Law Against Discrimination lawsuits
- Represented a large multi-national corporate client in the acquisition of real estate for a new corporate headquarters, including all land use approvals and the resolution of significant utility issue saving the client in excess of two million dollars in municipal fees
- Represented a multi-national corporation in the purchase of a New Jersey company with a complex financing structure and significant environmental issues
- Represented a technology manufacturing company in a multi-national distribution agreement addressing all of the Intellectual Property issues
- Represented a start up company in a private stock placement
- Counseled one of New Jersey’s largest landowners on purchases, corporate structure governance and preservation efforts
- Represented a regional bank in complex workouts, including related litigation and sale
- Represented local government in two of the largest and most complex tax appeals in northwest New Jersey involving a ski area and a quarry