Edward W. Ahart is a business law attorney and co-chairs both the Schenck Price Corporate and Business Practice Group as well as its Nonprofit Organizations Practice Group. He has been widely recognized as one of New Jersey’s leading business attorneys and a noted business leader. Ed’s practice focuses on advising both for-profit and nonprofit entities, their owners, directors/trustees and managers on board development and governance; entity structural issues; transactions including mergers, acquisitions, divestitures and finance; strategic planning; and succession issues. Ed has extensive experience in these areas, both as a legal advisor and as an experienced company leader himself.
A considerable portion of Ed’s practice is comprised of the representation of privately held companies, including family-owned businesses. He has guided many clients through very complex mergers and acquisitions, and counseled them on structural issues arising throughout all phases of the life cycle of business entities. He is a frequent speaker on entity governance, both in the for-profit and nonprofit sectors, as well as on topics such as the development and role of the Board of Directors, strategic planning and succession.
Ed served for more than 30 years as a member of the Schenck Price management team, including 20 years as the Firm’s Managing Partner and Chair of its Management Committee, before relinquishing that role to become Chairman of the Firm. He has now returned to the full-time practice of law to serve his clients more fully while also helping to lead the continued growth of the Firm’s business and nonprofit practice areas.
Throughout his career, Ed has spent a considerable portion of his time serving on the boards of numerous organizations. As a result, he has had very extensive experience in leadership roles with both for-profit and nonprofit entities, having chaired boards of directors in each sector, including the following boards: Lafayette College, the Fannie E. Rippel Foundation, where he is the current Board Chair (the Rippel Foundation is focused on improving the nation’s health and health care systems), the Morris County Chamber of Commerce, the Greenwich Cemetery Association, the Warren County ARC and the Morristown Club. He also serves as a member of the Advisory Board of the Karl Stirner Arts Trail in Easton, PA, an organization devoted to the arts in an outdoor setting and environmental sustainability. Ed was recently elected to join the Board of the Mayo Performing Arts Center in Morristown. He previously served as President of the Lafayette College Alumni Association and remains a long-time member of the governing body of the Greenwich Presbyterian Church in Stewartsville, NJ. He continues to contribute to his various local communities in additional informal ways as an advisor as well as on a philanthropic basis.
- Included on the list of Morris/Essex Health & Life magazine’s 2020 and 2021 “Top Lawyers” in Non-Profit*
- Included on the list of Morris/Essex Health & Life magazine’s 2018 and 2019 “Top Lawyers” in Business Law*
- Recipient of Outstanding Leader in Business for Mid/Large Businesses from the Morris County Chamber of Commerce
- Recipient of NJBIZ ICON Honors Award 2017
- Recipient of 2019 William P. Huber Award for Outstanding Community Leadership from the Morris County Chamber of Commerce
- AV® rated, the highest rating conferred by Martindale-Hubbell® for legal ability and professional ethics, based upon a peer review of the Bar and the Judiciary*
- Listed in Who’s Who and Who’s Who in American Law®
- Awarded honorary Doctor of Laws by Lafayette College
- Selected to the New Jersey Super Lawyers® * list featured in New Jersey Monthly magazine*
*No aspect of this advertisement has been approved by the Supreme Court of New Jersey. Click here to read Awards & Honors Methodology.
- Contributing author, February 2019 Legal Updates for Businesses
- Frequent speaker on corporate governance, transactional and financing matters, and at Independent Insurance
- Agents & Brokers of New Jersey (IIABNJ) programs
- Active Participant and Speaker, Rothman Institute of Entrepreneurial Studies, Fairleigh Dickinson University (Madison, New Jersey)
- Lafayette College Board of Trustees – current member and past Chair
- Board Chair, Trustee and General Counsel, Fannie E. Rippel Foundation, a not-for-profit foundation seeking better health, better care and lower costs throughout the U.S.
- Active Participant and past long-time Board Member and Board Chair, Morris County Chamber of Commerce
- Current Board Member, Mayo Performing Arts Center in Morristown
- Current Advisory Board Member, Karl Stirner Arts Trail, Inc.
- Continuing Member, New Jersey State Bar Association, Business Law Section
- Continuing Member, American Bar Association, Business Law and Practice Management Sections
- Current Board Member and Former President, Greenwich Cemetery Association
- Former President, Lafayette College Alumni Association
- Former President and Board Member, The Morristown Club
- Former Vice President and Board Member, Harkers Hollow Golf and Country Club
- Former Attorney, Pohatcong Township, Warren County and Pohatcong Board of Education
- Former Chairman, Board of Trustees, Warren County ARC
- Elder and former President, Board of Trustees, Greenwich Presbyterian Church (Stewartsville, NJ)
- Former Member, New Jersey District X Ethics Committee
- Former Member, Board of Directors, Morris Essex Inn of Transactional Counsel